We all know that a healthy and balanced diet is good for your physical health. But what about your brain health? Does what you eat impact your brain and mood?
What you eat affects your body and it also plays a significant role in your brain and mental health. Foods like fruits, vegetables, healthy fats and lean proteins provides quality nutrition to your body and brain.
The following foods are good for brain and heart health:
- Green vegetables like kale, broccoli and spinach. The nutrients have many benefits for the brain.
- Nuts are healthy fats and are known to be considered brain food. They also help lower cholesterol.
- Berries like blueberries protect the brain and strawberries help strengthen cognitive function.
- Fish and poultry protects brain function.
- Olive oil helps protect against cognitive decline.
Refined sugars and processed foods are not good for your physical health and also have a negative impact on your brain and mood. Eating these foods often could even make you feel depressed.
For a healthy body and brain, you should avoid these foods:
- Food high in sugar like candy and desserts
- Red meat
- Fast food
It is important to eat a clean diet for a healthy body and brain. A healthy diet along with physical exercise and cognitive exercises will help keep your brain healthy as you age.
Start working your brain out today with our brain training program at Brain U Online!
By reading this blog, I acknowledge that I am not creating or entering a clinical or medical relationship with Dr. DenBoer and SMART Brain Aging. I understand that all materiel included in this blog is strictly for informational purposes only. The content is to provide me with information and knowledge and I will not substitute it for diagnosis, treatment or medical advice. I am aware the author does not hold a medical degree or license and is simply providing me additional information on a variety of health topics.